Sydney, Australia, 20 April 2016 – Canon Australia is today announcing its return as an official Supporter of Vivid Sydney for a third consecutive year. Encouraging Australians to “Be Light Curious” by interacting, capturing and sharing the unique experiences surrounding the immersive program of light, music and ideas, Canon is thrilled to support one of Sydney’s landmark events.
Canon is announcing a range of experiences designed to inspire thousands of visitors to capture what they see, provide opportunities to develop their skills and celebrate their unique stories of Vivid Sydney.
“We’re excited to return as a Vivid Sydney supporter for the third year,” said Jason McLean, Director – Canon Consumer Imaging, Canon Australia. “This year we will continue to build on what we have done in the last two years, with some old favourites and amazing new experiences.”
Visitors can immerse themselves in an atmosphere of imaging inspiration and celebration at Canon HQ. Canon will once again transform the Foundation Hall at the Museum of Contemporary Art Australia into the ultimate hub for anyone who is curious to explore new ways to capture and tell visual stories of their Vivid Sydney experience.
Families, individuals, beginner photographers and seasoned professionals alike will encounter a range of free and ticketed experiences designed to help visitors capture better photos and videos of the spectacular installations. Experiences range from Low-Light Studio Workshops hosted by Canon Master photographers to guided photo walking tours and Helicopter Night Flights with the Canon Collective photography ambassadors. To capture these experiences, Vivid Sydney attendees will have the opportunity to try or rent the latest Canon gear. This year Canon will extend into Vivid Ideas, showcasing Canon’s popular Lab series as a creative workshop.
Experiences at Canon HQ:
- Studio 8 – Always wanted to learn how to shoot in low-light conditions? Studio 8, an extension of iconic SUNSTUDIOS, will feature studio workshops hosted by Canon Masters Ryan Schembri, Daniel Linnet and Graham Monro. Workshops will be created around a range of live performances designed to stretch your imagination as well as your photography skills. (free)
- Try or rent the latest Canon gear – Attendees who fancy a new camera or simply want to test out new photography tech are in luck. Some of the latest Canon cameras and lenses will be available for hire and Canon staff will be on hand to answer any questions or work out which camera is the best for you.
- Free Photo Printing at Canon HQ – Visit the Canon Memory Frame positioned opposite Bennelong Point at the end of the overseas passenger Terminal or have your picture taken at a roaming Canon Pop-up Light Portrait station and enjoy free photo printing back at Canon HQ. And for those who’ve taken some great photos of Vivid Sydney on their own camera, just bring along your SD card and get your photos printed up to A3 size. (free)
Make the most of all Vivid has to offer:
- Canon Collective Walking Tours – While enjoying the use of the new Canon EOS 80D DSLR camera, visitors will discover some of the best Vivid Sydney photo opportunities. The Canon Collective will provide visitors with photography tips and advice as they walk through Circular Quay and The Rocks. Finishing at Canon HQ, attendees can select their best shots and receive a free A3-sized print. (ticketed)
- The Canon Memory Frame will be positioned opposite Bennelong Point at the end of the overseas passenger Terminal, offering visitors a stunning portrait of their Vivid Sydney 2016 experience. The photo will be free to print at Canon HQ. (free)
- Canon Collective Helicopter Tours – For those looking to capture Sydney from a unique perspective, the Canon Collective in collaboration with Sydney HeliTours, is offering Vivid Sydney helicopter photography tours. During the 20-minute helicopter ride, visitors will be armed with Canon’s new EOS 1D- X Mark II professional DSLR camera and high-performance lens, all pre-set to ensure that you capture incredible images of the Sydney Harbour and light festival. To recap your experience, you will also receive two A3-sized professional prints of your choice. (ticketed)
- Pop-up Light portraits – Be a part of this year’s Vivid Sydney light instillation by choosing your own light portrait to project over your face, print the image or share it across your social media. Travelling on purpose-built bicycles, these amazing light portraits will pop-up all over Sydney CBD and other Vivid Sydney precincts. (free)
- Vivid Ideas – Unfocussed: Looking Past Your Assumptions to Find New Creative Possibilities. Part of Canon’s popular content series The Lab, this is a special workshop featuring an expert panel of photographers and image makers. Join in the exploration and discuss what happens when we challenge the assumption that a ‘good’ image is pin sharp and perfect, and explore how we can find and face these unwritten rules in own creative lives. (ticketed)
Vivid Sydney runs from 27 May – 18 June and is owned and managed by Destination NSW.
More details regarding how you can be more Light Curious at Vivid Sydney 2016 are available here: https://www.canon.com.au/vivid/
Tag your images with #VividCanon and they could appear on the Canon Vivid website, Canon social channels or at Canon HQ.
Canon HQ is located in the Foundation Hall, Museum of Contemporary Art Australia. Open every evening from 6pm – 11pm.